Monday, January 3, 2011

If I Were A Carpenter

Some days I am just plain fed up with fashion and beauty. Maybe that's why I chose to take some time off, a sabbatical to do nothing, take long walks in the park, write scripts, novels and poetry. Don't get me wrong, I am a visual person and love all things beauty. The models, actors, and fantasy world escapisms. I've been a master at keeping one foot in Jimmy Choo's while the other firmly rooted in spirituality.
I still get weak in the knees when I watch Jeremy Renner or Charlize on film, memorized by their jaw dropping talent and beauty. Life is hard, it's fun to check out, dreaming about living some other person's fabulous life.
When I heard the news that French model Isabelle Caro passed at 28, losing her long, painful battle with anorexia nervosa I felt sick to my stomach. She was a beautiful girl, who succumbed to the dark and overwhelming pressures to be thin in a cut throat industry. Every young model, and actress at some point in her career has heard the words, you look a little fat. Really, are you kidding??? I'm a size 2, for God's sake. There's nowhere left to lose it!!! 
It's DISGUSTING. 
I know first hand, I lived the fashion world's pressures to stay slim, losing jobs by packing on a few pounds. Today, I am older and wiser and a bit rounder. So what, I say? Who cares? I'm alive, healthy and the same person. I refuse to starve myself, it's not worth it. So f..k you to all the agents, directors and designers out there selling young, impressionable girls the lie. If only they lost a few pounds, they could be famous. Fame is shite, superficial, and empty if there is no soul dwelling inside. Pardon my French, but this post is for Isabelle, and the young women everywhere who are being told they're not enough. It's simply not true, you are perfect exactly as you are. I hope Isabelle is at peace, serene and happy, floating in heaven weightless and free from her body. Not a care in the world. 
As for the rest of us, I think we should work harder to avoid the judgements, obliterating the words FAT and UGLY from the dictionary. 




Portia De Rossi's book, Unbearable Lightness is a must read for anyone struggling with anorexia. 
http://books.simonandschuster.com/Unbearable-Lightness/Portia-de-Rossi/9781439177785

No comments:

Post a Comment